Location: Payerne, Switzerland
Destinus is an aerospace technology company founded under the belief that in the future, distance shouldn’t matter at all. We are therefore building the near-space vehicles and the associated infrastructure to power the world’s fastest and cleanest transportation system. Moving at the border of Space, our hydrogen-powered vehicles are ten times faster than conventional aircraft, providing the just-in-time backbone for logistics, e-commerce, and supply chain companies. We define a new class of fast: our mission is to bring your stuff to the other side of the world in less than 2 hours.
Mechatronics Engineering Intern
At Destinus we work in small, agile teams to tackle aerospace engineering challenges at high speed with a hardware-rich approach. As a Mechatronics Engineer you would be working on a system that has the potential to be the starting point of a wave of innovation in suborbital spaceflight. If you would like to complete an ambitious engineering project that allows a complete research – design – build – test – iterate cycle in a matter of weeks rather than months/years, then this is the role for you!
- Become immersed in the design, operation, and maintenance of our aircraft;
- Develop hands-on experience with aircraft subsystems and testing;
- Design, manufacture, program and test a system capable of interacting with aircraft;
- Strategize with the team to develop test plans and coordinate logistics;
- Suggest and/or implement design and process improvements;
- Compile and document findings, results of tests, quality or safety concerns.
- Bachelor’s in mechanical, Aerospace, or Mechatronics Engineering;
- Strong understanding of Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering fundamentals, especially mechanical design, robotics, mechatronics, dynamics, and control systems;
- Demonstrated hands-on experience through student teams, class and/or personal projects;
- Experience using rigorous scientific methods for testing and troubleshooting;
- Comfortable managing and manipulating data and documentation;
- Fluent in English as working language.
Preferred skills & experience:
- German and French languages are beneficial;
- Familiarity with electronics, batteries, motors, sensors, and composites;
- Interest and experience with RC planes, quadcopters, or robotics;
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic, and highly interactive start-up environment;
- Ability to be hands on with good physical intuition of mechanical systems;
- Proficient with solid-modelling CAD software (preferably Siemens NX / Solidworks) and 2D documentation;
- Proficient with rapid prototyping materials, tools, and techniques;
- Experience in carrying out conceptual design studies;
- Previous academic publications in peer-reviewed journals or patents;
- Experience in working with data acquisition and processing in Python.
Destinus is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity in our companies and our teams. We do not discriminate based on age, race, religion, colour, country of origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability status.
Interested in the role? Send your CV to our VP of Systems Engineering, Alex Wicks: email@example.com.